7 health benefits of green peas – Green peas are cultivated vegetable of the ancient type which is believed to have incredible health benefits, which includes improving digestion of your body, preventing various heart diseases, lowering the cholesterol and in keeping the entire body fresh and young. These sweet seed-like bulbs are perfect to add to any meal as they are rich in protein, fiber, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Green peas can be bought fresh, canned, icy, and dried. In most of the Indian In this article we are going to discuss the health benefits of peas:
7 health benefits of green peas
#1 They contain silicon.
Silicon is a rare trace element which is found in green peas. This element has a property which helps to strengthen bones and connective tissues in our body. In India where most of the people are vegetarian, there are few food sources that contain silicon which is a naturally occurring substance in the body, and green peas are one of them.
#2 Lowers cholesterol
- Green peas contain plenty of soluble fiber, which has a property of keeping low-density lipoprotein cholesterol in balance. The high cholesterol levels are not good for health and can lead to the development of strokes, heart disease.
- You just need one cup of green peas, and that contains sufficient amount of dietary fiber, which is equivalent to 30% of the daily intake of food. Green peas contain both soluble and insoluble fiber and are found in the skin of each flavorful pea. It helps in keeping your body cholesterol levels balanced and keep arteries healthy thus preventing any kind of heart disease.
#3 Helps in Strengthening immunity
- You must be aware of the fact that a healthy immune system relies on a good, nourishing diet, which green peas are believed to be excellent for.
- High levels of antioxidants in peas help in preventing several types of reactions in the body that may cause various kind diseases. Green peas contain minerals such as iron, calcium, zinc, manganese etc. that helps in enhancing the immune system of your body.
- At the top of it, it contains plenty of phytonutrients and antioxidants that increase white blood cell production in the blood. White blood cells help in giving germs and unhealthy cells no chance to survive.
#4 Naturally Anti-Aging
- Environmental pollution, the sun’s ultraviolet rays, and day to day life’s stress can lead to premature aging in the form of wrinkles and pigmentation.
- The best property of peas is that it will help in anti-aging of the skin. The antioxidants that it contains are helpful in preventing the aging process of your skin. It tends to provide a natural glow to the skin.
#5 Keeps Bones Strong
- Green peas contain 44% of the recommended daily amount per cup of Vitamin C which is an important mineral. It is involved in the formation of collagen which is required by the hair follicles for finest growth.
- Even small deficiencies of this vitamin lead to dry and brittle hair that breaks easily.
- Studies and reviews have shown that Vitamin K helps in improving calcium absorption, increases bone density, and modulates metabolism of bone. It helps to prevent the development of various other bone related diseases such as arthritis, joint pain, and osteoporosis.
#6 They Prevent Osteoporosis
- Peas have an inflammatory property and when this property is coupled with the action of antioxidants, it helps in prevention of osteoporosis or we can say wrinkles.
#7 Prevents Hair Loss
- As discussed earlier, Vitamin K is an important mineral for our body as it is involved in collagen formation that is required by the hair follicles for proper growth.
- Hence green peas help in preventing hair loss and provide shine and lusty hair.
#8 Good for Expectant Mothers:
- Fresh green peas are considered as an exceptional source of folic acid. Ample amount of folate-rich foods in expectant mothers helps in prevention of neural tube defects in the newborn babies.